Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Removing [Null] rows in output data

lancegoh1
7 - Meteor

Hello,

my data ended at  Record # 1084573, but it seems that my output inserted additional blank rows. are there any tools that allows me to remove the blank rows? from  row # 1084574 onwards?

thank you!

Lance

alteryx test.png

10 REPLIES 10
jasperlch
12 - Quasar

Hi, as far as I know Alteryx does not have a build-in tool to remove empty rows. But the required results could be achieved by a combination of tools:

Capture1.PNG

David92
7 - Meteor

I would bring in the sample tool at the start of the worflow to filter out anything at the start.  

It could help with performance.  

2018-07-20_08h38_50.png

vishwa_0308
11 - Bolide

1. You can use sample tool to restrict the no. of rows but if more rows comes then there will be loss of data..so prevent this data loss you can simply filter at one of you key field for not null.

2. And if you still want to restrict the no. of rows you can put "record limit" in input tool configuration itself.

Thanks

Vishwa

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

You could use the Filter tool to find records with IsNull([Field]) -- or IsEmpty([Field])...

SubratDas5
10 - Fireball

I tried your approach using a column. however there is a possibility that the column selected for the isnull() or isempty() filter itself is not available in the data reaching there. 

Is there any other approach we can think of ?

apichart
7 - Meteor

It is quite interesting that Alteryx does not provide a simple tool to remove empty rows. My best guess is we can use R or Python to achieve this but not sure about the performance.

Reesetrain2
9 - Comet

Hey Guys,

I just had the same issue.

-I was able to complete by using the Filter Function.

-Use the Basic Filter and select !IsEmpty([county]) 

-I was trying to remove rows where the count was Empty.

-Cheers!

Matt

abhishekp
5 - Atom

Easiest is to use a "Custom Filter". Add all column names in a custom filter like below. Let's take an example:

Assume your data has 4 columns - Column 1, Column 2, Column 3 and Column 4

Then use below in custom filter formula:

IsNull([Column 1]) AND IsNull([Column 2]) AND IsNull([Column 3]) AND IsNull([Column 4])

so, if none of the column has data, it would mean the row is blank. Hence, everything in "True" output will be blank rows and you can just use the filtered out results under "False" further in your flow.

Hope this helps.

Tip: If you have a lot of columns, just list columns in excel and use basic concat formula to create the filter string above.

DunyaS
7 - Meteor

I see it has been a while since this question was asked however this is for anyone else referring to this article for an answer. 

It looks like under Data Cleansing there are options to 'remove null columns' and 'remove null rows'. Works a treat! 

Labels