Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Remove large part of string up to first '+' character

JamesEffix
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a source file from which a certain colomn needs to be cleaned.

The strings in that column are composed as follows <string part a> + <string part b> + <string part c>.

part b and c have little variation and is section I'm interested in. That needs to be written to an SQL database, for further processing

How can I remove the first part of the string, including the '+' character and store it cleanly in the database. 'Part a' has a lot of variation. So it has to remove all before and including the first + (there can be more, so it has to be the first one). Can this be solved with a certain RegEx - formula?

thanks for your time and assistance.

regards

James Effix

5 REPLIES 5
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

The REGEX bellow will parse the string you sent:

([^+]+)\+?(.*)

The first part ($1) will be up to the first +. If no + then it will return the whole of the string in $1.

$2 will contain the rest of the string after the +.

The easiest tool to use for this is a REGEX tool in parse mode which will add 2 new columns

Sample attached

JamesEffix
7 - Meteor

Thanks this is exactly what I needed.

paul_houghton
12 - Quasar

I'm just wondering if you could use the normal text to columns tool with + as the delimiter to make it simpler still?

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yep would work fine (though Regex more flexible :))

2016-11-09_10-02-35.jpg

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Duplicate Post Deleted

Labels