Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Remove field name in output not working

Alayna
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone, So I'm trying to use the output tool to add the input's file name back to an output excel file, by using the formula tool and unchecking the "Keep field in output" option on the tool. But the output field is still showing up. If it matters, the output is going to a UNC path connected to my company's network for our Alteryx Server. And I can see that the filename is changing in that folder, but just not removing the output field. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Alayna_0-1618922199109.png

Alayna_1-1618922228484.pngAlayna_2-1618922297403.png

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

should your formula be "Output.xlsx|||Sheet1" ?

Alayna
8 - Asteroid

Hi Chris, if I remove [filename] in the formula, how would I be able to append the name to the beginning of the outputted file name? It also seems like the other options in the output tool changes the sheet name but not the file name. Thank you!

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

For Excel, the option for Change File/Table Name will change the sheet name.

The other option for Change Entire File Path lets you create separate Excel files.

Can you post a sample workflow, with data?  Do you want to create separate Excel files, or separate Sheets within one file?

Chris

Alayna
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to create a separate Excel file. I've attached a small example of what I was initially doing.

small update: I've gotten it to work to remove the filename as a field, but It also looks like my outputs are saved as generic "file" instead of ".xlsx"? Windows doesn't recognize the file type eve if I specify xlsx in the output tool

Alayna_0-1618936494551.png

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Change your formula to:

[filename]+" Output.xlsx|||Sheet1"

Alayna
8 - Asteroid

That must have been it because it ended up working. Thank you!!

Labels