Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Remove Top and Bottom 5% of Records

Brian_H
7 - Meteor

Hello

I have a dataset of about 60k lines with only 3 columns of data. They data has outliers on both the high and low end of the data. Therefore, I would like to strip out the highest 5% and lowest 5% based on a specific column that is numeric. I am struggling on figuring out how to do this and am looking for any recommendations.

Thanks

Brian 

5 REPLIES 5
Joe_Mako
12 - Quasar

Are you looking for something like the attached?

top bottom.png

- Sort the column of interest

- Record ID to get an incrementing number per record

- Summary to get a total count of records

- Append to have the count on each record

- Filter to remove the top and bottom 5 percent

Brian_H
7 - Meteor

Hello Joe,

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you!!!

Thanks

Brian

cavano
5 - Atom

Is there a way to achieve the same result but for In-Database?

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
There is an in-db sample tool. With which you can specify the % or records to return. You could use this twice kn your data stream to get the top 5% and then bottom 5% and then union the results together.

Ben
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Alternatively, you could use a SQL statement on input to first sort and then give an incrimental ID to your data; once you have this you have all the other tools in-db that will allow you to create your solution.

Link to in-DB append which is not standard in the package: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Append-In-DB/5ab3a06f826fd310ecda0b47

Ben

Labels