Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Remove Text Before and After

bsolove
8 - Asteroid

I have a string field that looks like this KJDFKLJHD2381KJAS2018COMPANYNAMEREPORTLJKSDNAEHD.

I want to isolate Company 1 in this example, but the records may have different company names.  How do I remove everything from the left up through 2018 and everything to the right up through REPORT?

5 REPLIES 5
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @bsolove 

Does 2018 change? Is the year dynamic?

If you could show more examples of sample data, it would be good.

Cheers,

bsolove
8 - Asteroid

No, 2018 and REPORT would be consistent between each record, but the characters before 2018 and after REPORT may change.

JessieC
Alteryx
Alteryx

@bsolove 

You can use the RegEx tool to parse it out: \w+2018(\w+)REPORT\w+

clipboard_image_0.png

If you're unfamiliar with RegEx, I find this website very useful in creating the Regular Expression - https://regex101.com/

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@bsolove 

Here's a way using FindString and Substring functions:

Substring([Field1],FindString([Field1], "2018"),FindString([Field1], "REPORT") - FindString([Field1], "2018"))

This way you isolate 2018COMPANYNAME.

You can then use - Replace(Field, "2018", ""), to get rid of 2018.

Cheers,

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@bsolove 

This also works directly:

Substring([Field1], FindString([Field1], "2018") + Length("2018"), FindString([Field1], "REPORT") - FindString([Field1], "2018") - Length("2018"))

Sometimes when you have a well defined scenario, playing with string functions may not be that bad!

Labels