Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Remove Empty Columns without Select Tool

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

How can I remove the empty columns (they are empty, not null) without having to use the select tool. I am pretty sure this can be done with transpose and cross tab tools but I am not entirely sure how. I have attached a screenshot of some data. I would like to remove the columns Title 5, Title 6, and Title 7. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

15 REPLIES 15
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Thanks @kat. Congratulations on the GP win - awesome job.

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

@MarqueeCrew @kat @jdunkerley79 Thank you all for your help! Your macro @MarqueeCrew worked perfectly!

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

DanHare
11 - Bolide

Just in case anyone gets past the w1lly waving... 😃

I'd like to add a round of applause for this macro.

It's brilliant for when you are pulling data straight in from Salesforce, CRM, Xero etc.

Great work Mark !

TonyAdam
8 - Asteroid

I had a similar challenge. I also wanted to remove Empty or NULL columns from my data set. This is how I found this thread. But additionally I wanted to remove all columns that have the same value in all rows and by that don't provide any value. I played around with the Basic Data Profile Tool and build a macro around it. When I tested it, I noticed that it could also easily remove the Empty/NULL columns. So it solves both of my issues in one step and it is quite simple and fast 😄

I also shared it in the Gallery: https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/Remove-useless-columns/5e6acbbd0462d70dd8d41d1b

Thanks for the inspiration from your macro @MarqueeCrew 

Tony

jhaines
7 - Meteor

With the Multi-Field Formula tool, Select "All Types of" fields and then in the expression window put this formula:

IF IsEmpty([_CurrentField_])
THEN Null()
ELSE [_CurrentField_]
ENDIF

jhaines_3-1611947148185.png

Then follow up the Multi-Field Formula with the Data Cleansing tool configured to Remove null columns.

jhaines_1-1611947081592.png

Labels