Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Remove Empty Columns without Select Tool

Chirag_Gandhi07
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

How can I remove the empty columns (they are empty, not null) without having to use the select tool. I am pretty sure this can be done with transpose and cross tab tools but I am not entirely sure how. I have attached a screenshot of some data. I would like to remove the columns Title 5, Title 6, and Title 7. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

15 REPLIES 15
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Chirag_Gandhi07,

I have published a macro to delete fields that are NULL/Empty.  It gives you the option to select/avoid any fields that you either care or don't care about.

https://gallery.alteryx.com/#!app/CReW-Delete-Empty-Fields/5ab9138a0462d71894a25060

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Fun challenge.

2018-10-22_13-56-15.png

My approach:

- Transpose the data

- Filter out the empty or null cells

- Pick a unique set of names

- Cross tab back and repair the names back to original (using a dynamic formula)

- Use a union tool set on common subset on the original stream

Sample attached

kat
12 - Quasar

@MarqueeCrew - from what I read @Chirag_Gandhi07 just wanted emptys to be removed, not nulls. I had this too before and just changed the tool a tiny bit.

I changed the formula on the shrink to be

IIF(IsNull([_CurrentField_]),"1",IIF(IsEmpty([_CurrentField_]),null(),"1"))

It does what it should, but do you think it's the best way?

Great tool by the way! :)

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Chirag_Gandhi07,

Don't be distracted from the simplicity of a CReW macro designed with you in mind by the evil @jdunkerley79.  He might be flashing a bright and shiny object your way trying to distract you in a vain attempt to gain Stars and Solution badges.  

Cheers,

Mark

jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Yep @MarqueeCrew I always want the badges. The CReW macros are always a good addition.

If you want to keep NULLS as @kat suggests then change the expression to:

!IsEmpty([Value]) OR IsNull([Value])

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@kat,

It looks like you might have your preferences set so that I can't mention you.  Empty/Null is good feedback.  I've updated the gallery macro.

Is it the best way?  There is a suggested alternative that does not transpose the data.  I think that the case where performance is needed makes the macro a challenge to understand.  So for general purposes I stand behind the macro.

Cheers,

Mark

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jdunkerley79,

Here we go again!  Always trying to shine your "Expert" Certification knowledge in my "Advanced" direction.  I think that your reply is a trick.  The function of IsEmpty() looks for both Null and Empty conditions (e.g. [Null] or \0, and "").

[Privately to James:  Now we've really confused the author.  Watch!  Kat will get the solve as a protest to our hijacking his post for our amusement]

Cheers,

Mark

kat
12 - Quasar

@MarqueeCrew I agree with the macro - just meant the way I changed it. 

Can't see the change in the gallery though?

kat
12 - Quasar

congratulations on the expert certification @jdunkerley79! that's amazing!

Labels