Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Remove Column

OsakaPaul
5 - Atom

First column does not have a header and is a list of numbers. Other columns have headers. I would like to remove the first column.

2 REPLIES 2
Storm
9 - Comet

Is there also some value in that first field on the top row - or at least a comma there to mark where a field would be?

If so, here's my suggestion:

• On input, indicate first row is NOT a header record.
  • File therefore comes in with fields named field1, field2, field3, etc. Your true headers are in "row #1".
  • Use select tool to deselect field1.
  • Use dynamic rename tool on remaining data to take the column headers from first row of data (fourth option from top in rename mode).
Storm
9 - Comet

If there is NOT a value in the first field on the first row - so e.g. your data looks something like this:

FIRST_NAME,LAST_NAME
25,John,Smith
16,Michael,Jones
345,Donald,Trump
18,Hillary,Clinton
225,Elvis,Presley

...where you have some header fields and they are meant to refer to fields 2 thru X, then the attached workflow should work.

On your input you want to again indicate first row is NOT a header. And make the delimiter this:

\0

This tells Alteryx to bring the data in as a line of text, versus individual fields.  This would get you up to the same point as the output of tool #1 in the attached workflow.

The logic of what it's then doing is:

• Using a filter to identify the row which is the true headers
  • Parsing that to the correct number of fields (i.e. the number of columns your final output should have)
  • DEselecting out the combined field which it parsed from
  • Parsing out the "false" side of the filter (which is the data itself) to the correct number of fields (i.e. INCLUDING that first number column)
  • DEselecting out both the combined field which it parsed form, and that number field you don't want
    Unioning back together - ensuring the "header portion" is #1 - and using the "auto config by position" selection in the join tool (not the default)
  • Using the same dynamic rename as in my first suggestion - to take the column headers from the first row

Should work fine.

ax_comm_scrnsht_descope_first_column.png

Labels