Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex to parse concatenated field

Fred22
8 - Asteroid

Hello.

I have attached sample data that I need to parse. Column B ParseField is the field that needs parsing. The data before looks like this:

Request TypeConfig
Region: North America
ConfigType: Windows 10 (WIN10)
Business Case: Need Upgrade
Mac Address: 1234567
Quantity: 1
Approver : Jdoe7
Approver Full Name: John Doe
PCSpecs: 18 GB Memory

Once parsed the data should look like this:

RegionConfig TypeBusiness CaseMAC AddressQuantityApproverIDApprover Full NamePCSpecs
North AmericaWindows 10 (WIN10)Need Upgrade12345671Jdoe7John Doe18 GB memory

I have tried the Regex tool to make sense of this but I am having trouble. Can anyone offer any assistance? Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Fred22

Start by splitting to rows on line breaks.  Then split to columns around the colon ":".  Crosstab and clean up

Solution.png

Note:  the workflow assumes that the excel file is in the same directory

Dan

Fred22
8 - Asteroid

Hi Dan,

Thank you so much this worked perfectly for this request. As we have gotten a few more requests the data is inserted differently for some.

Do you mind providing assistance on a case like this? The flow below thinks the additional Locations are fields.

Thank you very much.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hello @Fred22

This new solution takes care of the cases where any field is split between multiple rows.

Solution v1.1.png

Dan

Fred22
8 - Asteroid

This is perfect. Thank you very much!

Labels