Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex for variations of a phrase

FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

I have a text column for comments (see example below), and I need to know (True/False) whether it contains the misrun or misfire.  Misrun and misfire can be spelled or annotated with special characters.  I currently have a contains formula trying to find all the different spellings, but I know this is not a good way to do it.  Note, misrun and misfire can occur anywhere in the string. 

I know I can use the Regex tool set to Match to give me the true/false, but I don't know enough regex to write it.  Help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

comments.pngvariations.png

12 REPLIES 12
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora
Hi @FreeRangeDingo,

Interesting challenge!

What about something along the lines of

Regex_countmatches([field],“mis.*run”)>0

For misfire and variants, try mis.*fire

Simplistic (and not on my computer to check), but should find all variations of both words.

The challenge that I’ve had with regex_match is that the contents of the entire field have to match the code. Regex count matches finds how many matches to a code are within a field.

Please let me know if that helps.

Cheers!
Esther
FreeRangeDingo
11 - Bolide
11 - Bolide

@estherb47 this is the best solution so far.  I wasn't able to make the others work, so I was back with my super clunky contains formula.  That formula filtered out 172 records from my data set.  Your solution filtered out 173 without the clunk. I also learned something new about regex_match versus regex_countmatches.  Thank you very much!

joshuaburkhow
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Oooooh that is slick! Nice one @estherb47 !

Joshua Burkhow - Alteryx Ace | Global Alteryx Architect @PwC | Blogger @ AlterTricks
Labels