Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex_Replace to remove carriage return + line feed

sd
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to remove carriage return+line feeds using the REGEX_Replace function in the formula tool.  In the screenshot below I have a simple test pipe delimited file with two fields, Description and Attempt, shown in Notepad ++ with the 'Show all characters' options selected so the carriage return+line feeds are visible.

Alteryx REGEX_01.png

I'm using the following REGEX_Replace function in the 'Description' field of my test file in order to test removing the extra Carriage Return+Line Feed showing in Line 4 of my test file:  REGEX_Replace(Description, "\r*\n*", "")

I took this tip from the following link:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Remove-new-line-characters/td-p/8053

For the output I'm wanting to end up with my header and four output rows of data because in my test scenario, rows 4 and 5 are really one row.

When I run my simple test and browse the results, the extra Carriage Return+Line Feed remains.  I've been playing around with this and cannot get it to work.

Below is a screenshot showing the results:

Alteryx REGEX_02.png

REGEX is new to me so I have a feeling I'm missing something basic.  Any insight is appreciated!

Stuart

10 REPLIES 10
dantony
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I encountered the same problem where the text file contained carriage return + line feed.  Were you able to find a solution that get rid of it?

Thanks!

Labels