Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex_Replace to remove carriage return + line feed

sd
7 - Meteor

I'm trying to remove carriage return+line feeds using the REGEX_Replace function in the formula tool.  In the screenshot below I have a simple test pipe delimited file with two fields, Description and Attempt, shown in Notepad ++ with the 'Show all characters' options selected so the carriage return+line feeds are visible.

Alteryx REGEX_01.png

I'm using the following REGEX_Replace function in the 'Description' field of my test file in order to test removing the extra Carriage Return+Line Feed showing in Line 4 of my test file:  REGEX_Replace(Description, "\r*\n*", "")

I took this tip from the following link:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Remove-new-line-characters/td-p/8053

For the output I'm wanting to end up with my header and four output rows of data because in my test scenario, rows 4 and 5 are really one row.

When I run my simple test and browse the results, the extra Carriage Return+Line Feed remains.  I've been playing around with this and cannot get it to work.

Below is a screenshot showing the results:

Alteryx REGEX_02.png

REGEX is new to me so I have a feeling I'm missing something basic.  Any insight is appreciated!

Stuart

10 REPLIES 10
dantony
5 - Atom

Hi, 

I encountered the same problem where the text file contained carriage return + line feed.  Were you able to find a solution that get rid of it?

Thanks!

Labels