Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex Replace starting from an n occurence

Nouha
6 - Meteoroid

Hello everyone, 

if someone can help figure this problem i'd be greatful

my data looks like this 

fieldstarting afternbcar
,A,BC,AZRG11
,DB,CQ,AEYG21
,ETR,AC,A3,4AQW22

and what i want to do is remove from "Field" the specified number of commas in "nbcar" after the comma specifed in the "starting after"

so it would look like this 

fieldstarting afternbcarnew_Field
,A,BC,AZRG11,ABC,AZRG
,DB,CQ,AEYG21,DB,CQAEYG
,ETR,AC,A3,4A,QW,TRZ22,ETR,ACA34A,QW,TRZ

I thought maybe it can be done with Regex_replace but i can't seem to make it work

Thank you all, 

Nouha

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

There's probably a more succinct way to do this with RegEx, but here's a solution without RegEx. I split each field into rows and used the [starting after] and [nbcar] fields to determine how to concatenate the rows back together (with or without commas). A Tile tool provided a grouped record ID field. 

WillBowman
9 - Comet
((,[^,]*){2}),(.*)

Basically replace 2 with the amount of commas before the one you want to replace and then concatenate groups 1 and 3. In alteryx use the regex parse tool and I think you can concatenate there.

In python or R just +

Here's the output i got:

Full match 0-20 `,ETR,AC,A3,4A,QW,TRZ`
Group 1. 0-7 `,ETR,AC`
Group 2. 4-7 `,AC`
Group 3. 8-20 `A3,4A,QW,TRZ`

To account for the NBCHAR you need to capture subsequent groups and then run a separate replace (in scripting we could just use replace but this is alreryx). For this you want

((,[^,]*){2})((,[^,]*){2})(.*)

And to run replace “,” on group 3. Then concat groups 1,3,5
ponraj
13 - Pulsar

Here is the sample workflow for your case.  Hope this is helpful. workflowworkflow

InputInputResultsResults

Labels