Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex Replace - Remove Duplicates

AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

I'm working on a project and I need to remove duplicate user ID's from a concatenated list separated by commas. User ID's can have numbers and letters only. The below formula works great 99% of the time, but on occasion it will remove a user that it should not. The erroneous removals appear to happen when there are two usernames with the same letters, but they end in a different number. For example abcx2, abcx3 would remove abcx3. Any ideas on how to update the regex formula? 

regex_replace([Concat ID List],"\b(\w+),(?=.*\b\1,?)","") 

2 REPLIES 2
Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

Hi @AlteryxUserFL 

Difficult to say what the issue is with your code without access to your data to troubleshoot - the RegEx looks fine, and worked as expected including the specific example you gave in your question. 

Personally I find it simpler to split out the IDs to rows using Text to Columns, then remove duplicates with Unique, then concatenate back together - I've attached a sample workflow to illustrate what I mean. 

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

HI @AlteryxUserFL 

Consider changing the \w+ to \.+ in your Regex.

I think that you need \.+ because you need specificity capturing alphanumeric versus just alpha.

Let me know if that works for you.

Cheers!

Labels