Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex Replace - Remove Duplicates

AlteryxUserFL
11 - Bolide

I'm working on a project and I need to remove duplicate user ID's from a concatenated list separated by commas. User ID's can have numbers and letters only. The below formula works great 99% of the time, but on occasion it will remove a user that it should not. The erroneous removals appear to happen when there are two usernames with the same letters, but they end in a different number. For example abcx2, abcx3 would remove abcx3. Any ideas on how to update the regex formula? 

regex_replace([Concat ID List],"\b(\w+),(?=.*\b\1,?)","") 

2 REPLIES 2
Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

Hi @AlteryxUserFL 

Difficult to say what the issue is with your code without access to your data to troubleshoot - the RegEx looks fine, and worked as expected including the specific example you gave in your question. 

Personally I find it simpler to split out the IDs to rows using Text to Columns, then remove duplicates with Unique, then concatenate back together - I've attached a sample workflow to illustrate what I mean. 

RobertOdera
13 - Pulsar

HI @AlteryxUserFL 

Consider changing the \w+ to \.+ in your Regex.

I think that you need \.+ because you need specificity capturing alphanumeric versus just alpha.

Let me know if that works for you.

Cheers!

Labels