Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex (Replace) Help

GSWill
6 - Meteoroid

Hello REGEX experts,

I have a fairly simple issue that I could definitely use some help with. I am joining two datasets using municipalities as one of the primary key fields. However, one of the datasets didn't come cleanly. For example, Boulder, Colorado is simply listed as "Boulder" in one table, but it is listed as "BoulderCounty" or "Boulder county" in the other, causing incorrect joins (if any at all).

How can I use regular expressions to either complete delete "county" or replace the "county" text with a space? I can work through it afterwards. I tried referencing the Regex Documentation to get started but it didn't click for me right away.

Really, really, really appreciate it! 

Attached file is just a text input excel example of what I'm working with.

9 REPLIES 9
DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @GSWill 

you don’t have to use Regex for this. One way is to first use formula Replace(<yourfield>, “County”, ‘’) followed by a Datacleanse tool to trim out the extra/ trailing/leading spaces.

if you must use Regex for some reason, you can use the Regex Tool set to Replace mode, and the string to replace is 
or you can do Regex under Parse mode to extract anything but the county by something similar to this: 

(.*)\s*County
dawn

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@GSWill 
I assume you want the similar strings to all be replaced as "Boulder".

Capture3D.PNG

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@GSWill,

You can use if or swith if you have several replacement.

Please see below:

messi007_0-1624606512112.png

Attached the workflow,

Hope this helps!

Regards,

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey @GSWill I think @DawnDuong's solution is best here, but if I could amend it slightly, the TRIM() function will remove leading and trailing whitespace (and is a lot more performant than the data cleanse tool). So 

TRIM(
REPLACE([Field],'county','')
)

Will remove all "county"s and then also get rid of any trailing whitespace.

Ollie

GSWill
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Ollie, thank you for your reply! I was just wondering if replace is case sensitive so that if data returns as "COUNTY", "County", or "county" if it will still cleanse. Thanks!

GSWill
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much for your reply Messi! My dataset contains all counties in the United States so I have to focus on removing the "county" section of the string instead of specifying the name, otherwise I would exactly implement your solution. Much appreciate your help!

GSWill
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much for your reply Qiu! My dataset contains all counties in the United States so I have to focus on removing the "county" section of the string instead of specifying the name, otherwise I would exactly implement your solution. Much appreciate your help!

GSWill
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you so much for your help Dawn! Is the replace function case-sensitive? Thanks!

DawnDuong
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @GSWill 

the replace function (to be used in Formula tool) is case sensitive 

if you use the Regex Parse or Replace, you can select the case insensitive option

dawn

Labels