Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex Question

bryan_ram2613
8 - Asteroid

Hi Regex People,

I am fairly new to regex and I am working to understand it. I am working with the expression ^.*website.+\.com.* 

I am testing different strings against it to understand the expression but I cannot seem to fully grasp. Why would website.com not match that expression? 

An explanation of that expression would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
lmorrell
11 - Bolide

Hi @bryan_ram2613 

In this case, it's a sneaky 

.+

that has entered your expression. The '.' specifies any character except line breaks, whereas the '+' specifies one or more of the preceding character. 

So taking your expression and turning it into English we get "starting from the beginning (^), match EVERYTHING up until the word 'website' (.*website), then match ONE OR MORE of any character (.+), then match that the string contains '.com' (\.com), ending with 0 or more of EVERYTHING"

If your aim is to make the expression match "website.com" then you could use 

^.*website\.com.*$

Hope this helps! 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @bryan_ram2613 

Adding to @lmorrell excellent explanation, if you need to match string like websiteABC.com as well as website.com, change the ".+" (one or more) to ".*" (zero or more) so your final expression becomes

^.*website.*\.com.* 

Dan

bryan_ram2613
8 - Asteroid

@lmorrell  & @danilang Thank you helping me with this. Do either of you have a good resource for learning more or is it something you have to keep using?

Labels