Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex Parse Help

SyedA
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I need help parsing this with regex:

e.a@c.com","DisplayName":"e,a ","Email":"e.a@c.com","Picture":"hps://sharepointco/_layouts/UserPhoto.aspx?Size=L&AccountName=e.a@c.com"

All i need from this is the DisplayName without quotations: e,a

How may I go about this?

9 REPLIES 9
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @SyedA 

I wouldn't use regex - I would do text to rows on commas, then text to columns on colons. From there the data is split out appropriately. Then I use a replace function to remove the quotes. 

Note, I used the below as sample data, the beginning of your sample seems to be cutoff or a copy of the email piece:

"DisplayName":"e,a ","Email":"e.a@c.com","Picture":"hps://sharepointco/_layouts/UserPhoto.aspx?Size=L&AccountName=e.a@c.com"

Luke_C_0-1627414918187.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

this works for your sample data

regex_replace([Field1],'.*DisplayName":"(.*)\s".*',"$1")

SyedA
6 - Meteoroid

what parse regex formula could I use if I just wanted "DisplayName" and to remove everything else after?

"DisplayName":"e,a ","Email":"e.a@c.com","Picture":"hps://sharepointco/_layouts/UserPhoto.aspx?Size=L&AccountName=e.a@c.com"

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @SyedA 

You could try this, although I recommend my first solution to fully parse all the data, then you can filter as needed.

"DisplayName":"(.*)\s".*

Luke_C_0-1627418616641.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Did you try my formula? It worked in your sample data...

SyedA
6 - Meteoroid

it did not work

Luke_C
17 - Castor

@SyedA Please share the sample data in excel or in a yxzp file mine and @apathetichell's solution are working fine for me.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Did you put it in regex tool/parse or a regular formula field? Mine is designed for a regular formula tool... for a parse tool you'd put:

.*DisplayName":"(.*)\s.* in the parse tool - or something like that...

Can you confirm that there will be only 1 display name per record?

SyedA
6 - Meteoroid

this worked! thank you

Labels