Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex Match and Replace words

mem2243
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have a field with different objectives. When the field contains 'Long Term Growth', I want to change it to 'Long-Term-Growth'. The formula below only works if Long Term Growth is the only word. Please help. Thanks

Ex.

Safety, Income, Long Term Growth

if REGEX_Match( [Financial Objectives],"Long Term Growth",'') then "Long-Term-Growth"
elseif REGEX_Match( [Financial Objectives],"Maximum Yield",'') then "Maximum-Yield"
else [Financial Objectives]

endif

7 REPLIES 7
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mem2243 ,

One possibility is to use the contains formula as follows:

contains([Financial Objectives],"Long Term Growth").

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

mem2243
7 - Meteor

I tried that. It also only works if it's the only name in the column

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @mem2243 ,

Sorry, now I understood what you really need.

For that, you can use replace( [Field1],"Long Term Growth","Long-Term-Growth") directly for each case you want to replace.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @mem2243 

If you modify your formula to 

if REGEX_Match( [Financial Objectives],".*?Long Term Growth.*",'') then "Long-Term-Growth"
elseif REGEX_Match( [Financial Objectives],".*?Maximum Yield.*",'') then "Maximum-Yield"
else [Financial Objectives]

endif

You'll match any thing that contains the target.  The .*? matches anything before but not including the target and .* matches anything after.  Here I created a new column to show the concept, but it will work the same if you use Financial Objectives as the output column

r.png

Dan

mem2243
7 - Meteor

thanks, what if I also want to replace Maximum yield?

mem2243
7 - Meteor

I still want to bring back the other words in the column

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

You can insert a second formula in your formula tool or you can nest one inside another;

replace([Financial Objectives],"Maximum Yield",'"Maximum-Yield")

Labels