Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Regex - How to capture everything but certain characters, repeated once or more

Smiller100
7 - Meteor

Hello Alteryx Community,

I am still fairly new to Alteryx, and Regex by extension, and I have a column that I am trying to parse out where I want to capture everything separately, and it may repeat once or more, while excluding certain characters. I'll include examples below:

01234 · Word Word

01234 · Word Word:01234 · Word Word

01234 · Word Word:01234 · Word Word:01234 · Word word

01234 · Word Word:01234 · Word Word:01234 · Word word:01234 · Word word

(Please note the "·" and ":" in the data)

My current expression is as follows: ((?:[^·:])+)

This expression matches everything separately and repeats itself, but it places all the matches in Group 1 instead of Group 0, which Alteryx does not seem to like. Any ideas on how I can change this so that everything can be in Group 0? Or some help with writing a different expression would be much appreciated.

Edit: I updated the expression to match everything to Group 0: (?:[^·:])+

However, Alteryx returns an error saying there is Nothing to Parse. I'm getting closer but still just need help getting Alteryx to recognize this.

2 REPLIES 2
john_watkins
11 - Bolide

So is the . or : a delimiter for what represents a word or just any space?  It would be good to know which parts of the sample rows you consider a match above.

Smiller100
7 - Meteor

I did end up figuring it out, I just changed the output method from Parse to Tokenize and it captured everything. Thank you though

Labels