Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Regex Grouping Question

jannis005
7 - Meteor

Hi -

I am using Regex in my workflow to separate a few key identifiers in my dataset. The structure of the data has a few different formats, but the identifiers are consistently delimited by an underscore "_". See below for the different ways the identifiers present themselves. I am having trouble writing an expression that would be applicable to all scenarios. Can anyone offer some advice? Thanks.

Scenario 1: XXX_XXX_XXX

Scenario 2: XXXX_XXX_XXX

Scenario 3: extrainformationandtext(XXX_XXX_XXX)extrainformationandtext

The data groupings (XXX) vary from 3-6 or more, always separated by the underscore. The expression that has worked for the most datasets has been ".*\(?(.{3,})_(.{3,})_(.{3,}).*" but this does not capture the first grouping entirely if its more than 3 characters long.

6 REPLIES 6
ConnorK
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @jannis005 ,

What types of characters can the X's be?

Connor Kelleher
Senior Sales Engineer
Alteryx
jannis005
7 - Meteor

Alphanumeric characters.

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @jannis005,

This expression should work:

(\w{3,})_(\w{3,})_(\w{3,})

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know!

Regards,

Jonathan

jannis005
7 - Meteor

I had an issue with the following format:

XXXXXXXXX XXXX XXXXXXXX XXXX - XXXXXXXX XX (XXX_XXX_XXX)

It works fine in Regex101.com but for some reason Alteryx does not give the expected response.

Thanks.

jannis005
7 - Meteor

Never mind - the solution worked for me once I used the "RegEx" tool and not embedded in a Formula tool - appreciate your response!

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

I was surprised when you said it didn't work, the expression looked fine to me. You can't parse multiple capture groups in a formula tool, the only way is to use a Regex_Replace function and reference the capture groups through using '$1' to bring in capture group 1 for example.

Labels