Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

RegEx Question

XxparsegodxX
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Community!

I am currently using the following RegEx expression to extract only words. I.e. to take out groupings of words until the phrase hits a digit. (\D+)

Input: Example (Example) Text ($M) (7) 235,547 225,788 218,227 4 8

However, the RegEx doesn't work when there is an unwanted brackets number i.e. the (7)

Current Output: Assets Under Management (AUM) - average ($M) (

Desired Output: Assets Under Management (AUM) - average ($M)

I then use a Right & Length formula to extract the numbers from the cell.

Let me know if any of the above doesn't make sense and I can help clarify...thanks everyone!! (first time posting on alteryx community so super excited :D)

4 REPLIES 4
estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @XxparsegodxX 

Your RegEx statement is working, in that it's stopping as soon as it finds a digit, which is after the open parenthesis.

Does the rest of your data follow the same pattern? That is, numbers in brackets followed by groups of numbers? If so, I'd use a Formula tool with the following 2 expressions:

First: Regex_Replace([TextField],"\d","") to replace all of the numbers with nothing

Then: Replace([TextField],"()","") to get rid of the empty parentheses.

A Data Cleansing tool can get rid of all of the extra spaces.

I'm sure there's a more elegant solution, but my travel-addled brain isn't coming up with one at the moment.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers!

Esther

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @XxparsegodxX ,

For that, I think you can use the following regular expression: ([^\d]+)\s.*?\d

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

XxparsegodxX
5 - Atom

Hi @fmvizcaino

This is just what I was looking for! Can you explain the logic please? I'm not great with regex and would love to learn

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Sure @XxparsegodxX !

\s.*?\d

\s.*     This means to identify an space followed by any character multiple times (in our case, it could be .{0,1} which means any character 0 or 1 time

?\d     Until it finds the first digit

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

Labels