cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Announcement | Looking to expand your Alteryx skillset?! Check out the latest set of interactive lessons in Alteryx Academy: Creating Analytic Apps

RegEx Question

@GarthMiles

Thank you ! that was really helpful. 

May I ask a follow up question just for my self learning purpose - How did you decide to use text to column function to split to the rows in the workflow you provided. I haven't seen it before and curious why the special '\t' tab delimiter works here? It doesn't seem to be separated by tab to me. I am sure im missing something here. Thank you for your help!

Highlighted
Meteor

Hey @stevenlsj789

Hmmm...I'm not sure I recall my exact decision-making process from that moment; however, my guess is (based on what I typically do) is open the Cell Viewer (double-click a record in the Results view). You may have to select the "¶" icon, but what you'll get are the various symbols that representation whitespace characters (if any) that exist in the record. The "››" symbol represents the tab character. In addition to accepting explicit characters (e.g., commas, pipes, etc.), TextToColumns can also take a small handful of regex tokens! 

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 2.27.07 PM.png

That said, I didn't have to use '\t'. I could've gone with something like "\s{2,8}" but that feels a bit too greedy.

Labels