Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

RegEx / Parse - Field with numeric and alpha

wg
5 - Atom

I have the data below in one field.  I am trying to return the data after the first hyphen.  

In the case of the record with 6320020.410 - I/S DFIT - N/C ASSET, I want to end up with I/S DFIT - N/C ASSET.  My attempts at using RegEx are not producing the desired results.  Any help is greatly appreciaed.  Thanks.

6311010 - SIT EXPENSE
6320020.410 - I/S DFIT - N/C ASSET
6320020.411 - I/S DFIT - N/C ASSET
6320040.410 - I/S DFIT - N/C LIAB PLANT
6320040.411 - I/S DFIT - N/C LIAB PLANT

5 REPLIES 5
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @wg 

This RegEX expression can be useful.

Trim(REGEX_Replace([Field1], ".*?-(.*)", "$1"))

Cheers,

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@wg 

Or this string function:

Trim(Right([Field1], Length([Field1]) - FindString([Field1], "-") - 1) )

Cheers,

BYJE
7 - Meteor
In general a very simple way to accomplish what you want - get rid of stuff before a certain symbol is encountered in the string - is to use the Text To Columns tool and use the symbol in question as the delimiter. In this case, if you insert a Text To Columns tool, use "-" as a delimiter (don't include the citation marks in the tool, just the hyphen), split into 2 columns, leave extra characters in last column, then you should be good to go; the 2nd column generated should then include the information you want, and only that (however you may also need to add a data cleansing tool after the Text To Columns tool to remove any potential leading spaces in the column, as well as a select tool to remove the unnecessary first column). A derived benefit from using the Text To Column tool this way is that you get to keep track of the information you remove from the string - it's easy to find out what was 'lost', if it turns out later on that you actually need that part of the string as well.
geraldo
13 - Pulsar

Hi,

A suggestion for using the regex tool.
I did the text separation in 2 steps.

Attached is the example workflow.

wg
5 - Atom

Great idea.  Thanks.

Labels