Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

RegEx - Extract a Variable Dollar Value N Characters from a Given Word

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

I tried this once before.  I took it down by "solving it", but it was not solved.  It was a hot mess.  I now better understand what I need.

I need to extract the dollar value of the string value that is immediately N characters from the word "awarded."  The string value will be >$1,000,000.  The text may include other values, but I only want to extract the first string value immediately N characters from "awarded."  

I do not know how to adjust for the variability in the number of characters or in the value of the award nor how to convert it to a dollar value from a string. 

I know it has to start. ^.*\bawarded\s. ...

Examples

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing awarded an $8,069,336 elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Augue eget arcu dictum varius duis at consectetur lorem donec. Nunc scelerisque viverra mauris $28,069,336 in aliquam sem fringilla. 

OR something like this

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing awarded to my best friend $9,998,069,336 elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Augue eget arcu dictum varius duis at consectetur lorem donec. Nunc scelerisque viverra mauris $28,069,336 in aliquam sem fringilla.

THANKS!

12 REPLIES 12
hellyars
13 - Pulsar

@Thableaus 

I like where you are going with this approach. But, I ran into a snag when I tested it out using regex101.com.  It does not seem to be locking onto the first awarded value pair. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 12.44.54 PM.png

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@hellyars 

Maybe this would work:

^.*?awarded.*?\$([\d,]+).*$

Cheers,

hellyars
13 - Pulsar

It works -- nice and simple.  Thanks.

Labels