Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Reg-ex Dynamic Parsing

SiddhantSurve
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Alteryx Pros ! 

I want to parse the 'Participants' field into corresponding fields based on the no. of participants mentioned in the 'Participants' field ( which varies ). 

Check the image below for the input.

The syntax for the field is:

Lastname-(which can be one word like Ronaldo or multi-word like Del Piero ),/s(whitespace) FirstName-(which can be one word like Andres or multi-word like Cristiano Jr.)/s(whitespace)  [club name+type]-(which can be one word like [JUVE] or club name plus type like [JUVE Non-R&M]

Parsing participant name (Input).PNG

Desired Output :

The 'Participants' field must be parsed out dynamically into corresponding columns based on the no. of participants mentioned in the 'Participants'. Meaning if there are 2 participants (like record 3) it should be parsed into 2 columns 'Participant 1' and 'Participant 2' respectively and a null in the 'Participant 3'.

Imp: In the above input the max participants are 3 but there can be a case where there are 5 so the reg-ex should take a dynamic scenario into consideration and parse the field respectively.

Desired Output Image

Parsing Output.PNG

Please suggest an optimal solution using reg-ex or any other tool for this use case. I greatly appreciate any insights/advice. 

4 REPLIES 4
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SiddhantSurve 

Here's the solution I came up with:

RegEX.PNG

- First I changed ,\s after ] (that means, the separator of Player Names) for "|". This is just to not mix up with the ,\s from original player names.

- Then add a Record ID to keep track of the rows

- Text to Columns using the "|" separator created.

- Tile Tool with Unique Value of Record ID to create sequences of Participants 

- Formula Tool to create column names (Participant + Tile Number)

- Cross-Tab tool to set up the table.

See if it works well for you.

WF attached.

Cheers.

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @SiddhantSurve !

Hope this finds you well. I took a similar approach to @Thableaus , just used different tools.

Added a RowID tool to mark each row as unique.
Tokenized into rows with Regex Parse on the comma+space, or end of line.

Used a Multi-Row formula tool to add the field for a column header

And finally cross-tabbed back into a table, using the new column header field as a column header.

Both approaches should work beautifully, and both are dynamic (when there are even more than 3 participants, these workflows will pick them up)
image.png

Workflow attached. Try it out and let me know what you think.
Cheers!

Esther

Mond
8 - Asteroid

@estherb47 excellent advice! i had no idea i can use tokenize to rows, was looking all over for a way to dynamically force a text to columns on a string of dates separated by commas of x,x1,x2,xN input. This was great suggestion and worked for my use case!

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Mond happy to help out! Cheers, Esther

Labels