Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Referencing Prior Month Variables to Calculate Future Months

Nicky23
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Community!

This is my first post, so forgive me if I do this all wrong.  I am trying to forecast several months by using information from the prior month and having a hard time figuring it out in Alteryx.  Attached is the end goal.  Very easy to do in Excel, so I know it is possible via Alteryx.

Here's what tricky:  Category 1 is already populated up to the current month, but I need it to be a calculation referencing several data points in the prior month in order to do the 6 month forecast.  The rest of the calculations are referencing that forecast amount in Category 1 one way or another.  So up to current month, everything is populated, after current month, it turns into a calculation.

Any tips/suggestions would be very helpful!

Forecasting Report Pic.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This is perhaps not the most elegant solution but it works!

2018-04-13_09-08-12.png

See attached.

Ben :)

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Nicky23

I have attached an iterative macro which you can decide the number of months you want to forecast forward.

I have detailed the logic within the workflow

Iterative.PNG

S/O to @ShaanM for helping to build it.

Best,

Jordan

Nicky23
5 - Atom

Thanks Ben for responding with a solution so quickly!  Something that works > Elegance :)

Nicky23
5 - Atom

Thank you @JordanB and @ShaanM for making this a Macro and giving the user the ability to update the # of months forecasted (because you know they are going to change their mind tomorrow, if not today).  This is so cool!

Labels