Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Referencing Prior Month Variables to Calculate Future Months

Nicky23
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Community!

This is my first post, so forgive me if I do this all wrong.  I am trying to forecast several months by using information from the prior month and having a hard time figuring it out in Alteryx.  Attached is the end goal.  Very easy to do in Excel, so I know it is possible via Alteryx.

Here's what tricky:  Category 1 is already populated up to the current month, but I need it to be a calculation referencing several data points in the prior month in order to do the 6 month forecast.  The rest of the calculations are referencing that forecast amount in Category 1 one way or another.  So up to current month, everything is populated, after current month, it turns into a calculation.

Any tips/suggestions would be very helpful!

Forecasting Report Pic.PNG

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

This is perhaps not the most elegant solution but it works!

2018-04-13_09-08-12.png

See attached.

Ben :)

JordanB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @Nicky23

I have attached an iterative macro which you can decide the number of months you want to forecast forward.

I have detailed the logic within the workflow

Iterative.PNG

S/O to @ShaanM for helping to build it.

Best,

Jordan

Nicky23
5 - Atom

Thanks Ben for responding with a solution so quickly!  Something that works > Elegance :)

Nicky23
5 - Atom

Thank you @JordanB and @ShaanM for making this a Macro and giving the user the ability to update the # of months forecasted (because you know they are going to change their mind tomorrow, if not today).  This is so cool!

Labels