Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Redshift InDB Table Creation

sehling
6 - Meteoroid

Using the Write feature of the Redshift ODBC tool, you are now able to import and manipulate data easily into a database with Alteryx 10. 

My question is this:  Is there a way to specify the table definitions (Field Names, Field Lengths, Field Types, Sort/Distro Keys, etc) on the import when the new table gets created through Alteryx?

We currently use a custom C# upload tool to do our imports and then spin the data using Alteryx, but it's an added manual step using this method.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

2 REPLIES 2
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Unfortunately there is no simple way to accomplish this with the basic In-DB tool functionality. If I were tasked with this I would probably create the table externally before running Alteryx, similar to what you are doing with the C# tool.

As you probably already know, Redshift has a CREATE LIKE functionality. It would be nice to see a future iteration of the write tool take advantage of this capability.

If you really wanted to keep everything inside Alteryx, you could stream the data out then use a Pre Create SQL Statement but that sort of defeats the prupose of using In-DB tools in the first place.

sehling
6 - Meteoroid

Michael,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I didn't think it was possible, but wanted to explore all avenues. 

This is definitely functionality Alteryx should consider putting into place with a future release.  Without it, in most cases it deems the Write functionality to Redshift useless when creating a table.

Scott

Labels