Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Recreating Excel Macro's into Alteryx Workflow

Pickaxe
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone!

We are trying to Recreate Old Excel Macro's with Months of development into ALteryx workflow with zero to minimun Knowledge in VBA. Is there a Efficient way to do so without spending time to Analysis the VBA line by line and Creating a Workflow from the ground up.

Note: Some macro's have multiple Sheets and some even Connecting with multiple Databases

Regards,

2 REPLIES 2
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @Pickaxe 

I'm afraid the answer to this is no.  Alteryx only has access to the data in the workbooks and not the underlying VBA.  Even though it might be possible to extract the VBA using a technique similar to the one in this post, there is still no automated way of converting VBA to an equivalent Alteryx workflow.  VBA is a procedural language and includes features such as loops, recursion, etc, that can be complex to reproduce in Alteryx.  Alteryx is more of a declarative language like SQL, with some procedural features added in.  Even converting code from one procedural language to another i.e. from vba to java can be difficult because of subtle differences in the way that equivalent features are implemented in the two languages.       

I'm afraid it's time for someone on your team to learn VBA.  

Dan

Pickaxe
7 - Meteor

Thanks Dan

Labels