Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reading xls files with varying sheet name

clarrock
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I want to use the dynamic tool to input an xls file that has different sheet names daily. The option i used to use had me type the sheet name to the Full name to get the dynamic tool to read the file and the sheet, however it doesnt work if the sheet name change often. Please help thanks

8 REPLIES 8
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Are you talking about .xlsx or .xls? .xls requires using R or Python. .xlsx you would use a batch macro with an input data tool. The Dynamic Input tool will not work with schematically different sheets.

SoccerTil
8 - Asteroid

If the filename is the same from day to day and only the sheet names change, then you can change the sheet name in the Dynamic Input from a stream of sheet names.

SoccerTil_0-1647881554953.png

clarrock
8 - Asteroid

@SoccerTil @apathetichell its an .xls file (not .xlsx) with sheet names that change daily that i want to dynamically input into my canvas. Please help

SoccerTil
8 - Asteroid
I would try and convert the xls to an xlsx and then run the workflow. This is a link for converting with the windows command: http://justgeeks.blogspot.com/2014/08/free-convert-for-excel-files-xls-to-xlsx.html and this is an Alteryx discussion: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/batch-xls-to-xlsx-excelcnv-exe/td-p/52...
soccertil1108
8 - Asteroid

cross linking to my business account for future reference and response. 

soccertil1108
8 - Asteroid

You haven't posted if you had solved your problem. I took the liberty of creating a workflow that converts an XLS to XLSX and reads all tables. For you to run the workflow you will need to find where Office has stored the excelcnv executable.

soccertil1108_0-1648052916276.png

TeresaZhang7517
7 - Meteor

Hi @soccertil1108 ,

Thanks for your solution, I test it in my local. It runs successfully. But I don't know how to apply this command(excelcnv.exe) in gallery. Could you help me?

SharkeyNZ
7 - Meteor

Hi @soccertil1108, how do you configure this to take a directory of XLS files and convert them to XLSX?

Labels