community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Reading in a specific tab with same schema from multiple files help

Meteor

Hello,

I am trying to read in a specific tab from multiple excel files (.xlsx & .xlsb) that are hosted in their own sub folders/directories but are all stored in the same main folder/directory. The specific tab I want has the same schema throughout all ~40 files. However, the files have different tabs in them other than the one tab that I want. I've narrowed down the list of files I want using the directory tool with a couple of filters. I tried the dynamic input tool afterwards based on a few posts I read and am not having any luck. Is Directory plus Dynamic Input the best route to take here or is there a better approach other than using ~40 individual input tools and unioning them all together? I appreciate any and all help.

-taxdata

Alteryx Partner

I believe that you're on the right track with the Directory and Dynamic Input tools, could I see a sample of your workflow to try and diagnose whats going wrong?

There is an alternative in the form of a user macro on the gallery, see the post by @CameronS here: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works-Blog/The-Ultimate-Alteryx-Holiday-gift-of-2015-Read-Al...

However, since you have the same schema in each of the tabs, I believe that Directory -> Dynamic Input is probably preferable.

Can you explain a bit more about whats happening with the Dynamic Input?

Labels