Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reading error with excel file

fnkankeu
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to read an excel file (.xlsx) but I have an issue with one column.  Like you can notice in the picture 'sample.png' I only have one number after the decimal. For a reason I don't know, when I try to open the file with alteryx, a lot of zero are added after the decimal. You can see what is the result in alteryx in 'result.png'. When I change the excel file to 'csv' and I open it in alteryx I don't have this issue. 

I wonder if someone in the community has already came across this problem and if he found a solution.

I added a test file if you want to replicate the issue. 

Thank you for your help.

3 REPLIES 3
mst3k
11 - Bolide

it's a floating point issue with how computers store numbers internally. 

here's one explanation:

https://floating-point-gui.de/

even if you just type 17.1 into a text input tool, then look at 15 decimal places, you'll still see it. is this causing issues for you somewhere? if it's just a display issue, in a select tool make a it a fixeddecimal type with size 19.1 or something to that effect

mst3k_0-1632507562170.png

cmcclellan
13 - Pulsar

I agree with everything @mst3k said, the short answer is "don't worry about it"

The longer answer is, the issue is in Excel as well - Alteryx is simply reading the data that is stored in Excel.  Excel also knows that you entered a single decimal number, so only displays a single number where Alteryx shows a lot finer detail.

So why doesn't it work the same with CSV ?  All CSV fields are String data types, so Alteryx is reading string values (ie not numeric) and you don't get the same problem.

Basically, don't worry about, continue as normal and everything will be OK

fnkankeu
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for you answer. Now I understand. I just wonder why it doesn't do that for every number in the column.

Thank you

Labels