Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Reading data from multiple tabs in an excel input file

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

I have a requirement in which I want to bring in the data from 4-5 different tabs in an excel file before performing any scrubbing. The header names are same in all the tabs. How can I accomplish this instead of bringing in input tool for each tab?

23 REPLIES 23
Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

Idyllic_Data_Geek_0-1655922384342.png

Jay-RDC
8 - Asteroid

I agree with @AmalinaH . If it's the same schema then the dynamic input tool should work and you can just filter out the tabs you don't need. You can also try creating a dynamic input macro tool which you can use for both same schema and different schema tabs. 

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

It did not work!

Jay-RDC
8 - Asteroid

Try changing the action to "Change Entire Path". Also, may I know the error message you're getting.

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

'Tab I'm interested in' has a different schema than the first file in the set

Jay-RDC
8 - Asteroid

Alright. Then that means you need a dynamic input tool macro. 

jayrdelacruz18_0-1655923196189.png

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

can you please help me in setting that up?

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Idyllic_Data_Geek!

Yes, we can help you get it setup, but have you tried the CReW Macro: Wildcard XLSX Input? I am a big fan of the tool for this purpose.

Capture.PNG

9 times out of 10 inputting excel sheets works well for me with this tool. If it doesn't work, then it's time to build a custom macro as @Jay-RDC suggests.

Let us know if you try this out!

Thanks,
Deb

Idyllic_Data_Geek
8 - Asteroid

I don;t have access to this feature in the version of alteryx we have at my employers!

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

CReW macros are free to install.

Download here:

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

If you want to go the macro route, please share your workflow with some anonymized files. We can help you with the configuration of the macro(s).

Labels