Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reading IIF formula

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Dear community, 

May i know how can i interepret the formula below ?

IIF([HOUSEHOLD]="Y", [PACKAGE]= "100" or [PACKAGE] = "200", "NonHH")

normally i have the result of -1 and NonHH

and also formula below

IIF([PACKAGE]="100" or [PACKAGE] = "200", [REDEMPTION]>"2020-07-05 23:59:59" and [REDEMPTION] < "2022-10-01 00:00:00", "NonDevice")

I was trying to interpret this written and appreciate if someone can enlighten me on this.

Thank you,

4 REPLIES 4
ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @SH_94 - Here is how it works:

ArtApa_0-1657166259355.png

In your scenario you put "OR" statement instead of X. That is why you get TRUE value instead of a meaningful result.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hello @SH_94, is it possible for you to provide the sample input and output that you are looking for?

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@SH_94  below is my interpretation

IIF([HOUSEHOLD]="Y", [PACKAGE]= "100" or [PACKAGE] = "200", "NonHH")

first it checks whether the HOUSEHOLD = 'Y'  and If this is true then checks for PACKAGE in (100, 200), since the second condition returns only True or False that's why you are getting -1 or 0 else NonHH

Note: the statement [PACKAGE]= "100" or [PACKAGE] = "200" used as the True result of the first condition [HOUSEHOLD]="Y" as well as checking whether PACKAGE is in 100 or 200 which always returns True or False. 

the same applies for the second formula

FilipR
11 - Bolide

Both formulas you pasted are malformed IIF statements. You can't have "OR" / "AND" in the result part. You can only use them in the condition part (before the first comma).

IIF( [boolean condition], [result if TRUE], [result if FALSE] )

Labels