Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Check out our powerful new search update! You can read more here. Please let us know if you have any feedback by creating a topic here.

Reading Excel Table into Alteryx Problem

Meteor

Hello Alteryx Community!

I have run into a problem of reading in an excel table using the Input tool within Alteryx. I am currently using Microsoft forms to collect the data and Microsoft flow to auto populate an excel sheet and send an email to the user filling out the data. Microsoft Flow requires that when placing data into an excel sheet that it is contained within an "Excel Table". This is a problem though because I can now not automate my Alteryx workflow by automatically connecting to the excel spreadsheet. I can by pass this by opening up the excel sheet and saving it on to my computer or saving it as a .csv file. Does anyone have a solution for reading in an "Excel Table" into Alteryx?

Capture.JPG

Regards,

Dom

Highlighted

Opening Excel with an unknown Sheet Name

Read the Excel file twice; 1st with the option to get all the Sheet Names, and then a 2nd time with the dynamic filename.

Dynamic Sheet Name.jpg

Highlighted
Meteor

@Darryl5280

I tried your solution but I do no have the option to just select the sheet name when I bring in the excel file. Please look at the attached screenshot! I like this solution, now only if we can get around this pesky sheet reader!

Regards,

DomCapture.JPG

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

@kuljisd,

Can you please check the sheet names in your file? Leading spaces or special characters in the sheetname can sometimes prevent it from being read in.

Thanks!

Amelia

Highlighted

It might be dependent on the Excel File Types  Excel File Types.jpg that Alteryx can import with as there a lot to chose from.  And maybe it's an Alteryx version issue as I created the workflow in version 2018.45 and downgraded it to version 10.5.

Highlighted
Meteor

@AmeliaG

Good idea! I just checked the Sheet name and it is just plain old "Sheet1". 

@Darryl5280

I would be fine running it on Alteryx 10.5 how do I download and have to different versions of alteryx on my computer? I know that whenever  I update the installer uninstalls the older version of alteryx. 

The file type is just .xlsx

Thanks for both of your inputs!

Dom

Labels