Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Reading Excel File in Alteryx

harinder1301
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I want to use dynamic input tool to read and append the file on daily basis from  

Please see below sample table from the excel sheet which i have downloaded from the tableau server : 

harinder1301_0-1634115306870.png

But the output is not coming as expected in Alteryx ,it is showing lots of null value in the columns . As, I have to combine the data form multiple files on the daily basis , what is the best way to accomplish it in Alteryx. Thank you in adance!

Output from Alteryx workflow:

harinder1301_0-1634115068411.png

Alteryx Output:

harinder1301_2-1634115519801.png

Desired Output:

harinder1301_1-1634115487054.png

Thanks

Harinder

2 REPLIES 2
Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

The nulls are due to the merged cells in Excel.  To get the correct data in Alteryx you could either change data layout on the Tableau Server to populate all cells, change your download to one that includes them all (full data rather than summary?) or use something like multi-row formulas in Alteryx to fill down the blanks.

kelsey_kincaid
12 - Quasar

Hi @harinder1301 ,

To expand on @Christina_H 's post - you will want to use a Multi-Row Formula tool to fill the nulls. To fill every column, you might choose to use three different multi-row formula tools, but using a transpose tool first will make your life easier. That way, you can use one multi-row formula tool to fill every column. Also, if you add more columns in the future this approach will handle that without you needing to update the workflow. I've attached an example here!

kelsey_kincaid_0-1634152296599.png

Labels