Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Reading DAT files and Preparation.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hello Everyone- 

we have *.dat data files which we need to read and parse as CSV files (there is one dat file for each day from last year) . I was able to read the file in CSV however the issue is to prepare the data ,i.e, in each file there are sub-sections meaning each data section is followed by the name of  department to which the data belongs to along with the date. For example in the 1st snippet below row 3 consists of date stamp and name of department . We need to transform the data to look like shown in the second snippet where in the department # and date is added to the row starting with "SA" .

1st Snippet1st Snippet 2nd Snippet2nd Snippet

i was able to do the following wherein i just pulled in the rows which starts with SA and TI because the TI row consists of dept.# and date. Will really appreciate any help to achieve the task. Please find in attached the sample data .Thank you very much.

logic.PNG

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Here is a starting attempt but one of the challenges you face is that the data is inconsistent on some lines and therefor it's not pulling the attributes into the right column.

This workflow should give you a starting point and then if you attempt to work on the above problem then let us know if you can't figure it out!

Ben

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hello @BenMoss

Thank you very much for your reply.Unfortunately i am not able to open the workflow, as it appears that i am using an older version of Alteryx. Any idea how can i get it to work?Thank You.

wf_error.PNG 

Highlighted

Hi @MD2050, sorry for the slow response, I've had a busy week!

I've just written a blog post on how to downgrade Alteryx workflows, check this out, give it a go. 

If you need help let me know! Also let us know if this brings you to a solution!

https://www.theinformationlab.co.uk/2018/07/12/downgrading-alteryx-workflows/

Ben

Labels