Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Reading 90 File

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

GM Everyone-

Would like to ask if there is a way to read a 90 File(.90 extension file)  in Alteryx or an alternate process so that i can read the file and output it as a CSV ? We have program which exports out a .90 file which i convert in a CSV manually . The way i do this is by opening a blank excel file and then opening the .90 file directly inside excel , it takes me to the Text Import Wizard to parse the data systematically . It will be really helpful if i can get to automate this process . Unfortunately i couldn't share the file - Apologies. 

Thank you very much. 

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi!

Yes this is likely possible, for example you can input a tableau workbook (.twb) file by reading it as a undelimtied text file.

I outline the process for inputting a .twb file into alteryx in one of my blogs here: https://benjnmoss.wordpress.com/2016/10/24/how-to-import-a-twb-in-alteryx/

I imagine you can do exactly the same process with a .90 file.

Let me know if it works.

Ben

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

If you can open your .90 file in Excel and then parse it, I would expect that you can open the .90 file in Alteryx using the .CSV format but specifying \0 as the delimiter instead of a comma.

This allows Alteryx to read the contents of your file into a single field, which you can then parse with tools like TextToColumns, Formula, RegEx, etc.

If your .90 file is using some delimiter other than a comma, you can specify the proper delimiter instead of a comma or the \0. For example, I sometimes get files delimited with the ^ character...

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@BenMoss,

Isn't it time for you to go to Italy yet?

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Hello @BenMoss-

Thank you very much for your help. I was bale to read the 90 File as a CSV and it worked great. I had to tweak the configuration a bit to read all the data (46 columns) . I read the file using "\0" delimiter followed by using a text to column tool and using "\t" to parse the actual data, unfortunately the column heads didn't had any spaces or any sort of delimiter through which i could separate them to individual column headers corresponding to the actual data fields - so i had to filter out the first row. Your blog really helped.

Thank you very much. 

Labels