Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Read text delimited based on column name

PRAM
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I have a downloaded multiple text files from SAP that has no clear delimiter or field length. I would like to split the file based on the column header that is on the 2nd row. Please can someone help ?

PRAM_0-1653548064707.png

14 REPLIES 14
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

@PRAM if you have a precise example, I can give a look. I am not sure to understand what case you could encounter.

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@PRAM I had a go at this trying to see if I could use the character position in the string to break things out. I got mostly there, but the issue is how to know when a new column begins. In your examples, how can I tell Alteryx that 

Unit of Measure or Costing Structure are 1 column and not two.

I had to do a bit of manual intervention, but if you're okay with a little bit of that, then this approach should work I believe

OllieClarke_0-1653565265990.png

Hope that helps

Ollie

PRAM
6 - Meteoroid

thanks. I still need to understand how this was done . But see the results :-)

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@PRAM if you can easily get a list of column names, then my approach should work, but if not then I fear it's not much better than the manual configuration of input tools.

Lmk if you have any more questions,

Ollie

PRAM
6 - Meteoroid

Yes the column names are known and should be the below

Costing Structure
Material Description
Quantity
Unit of Measure
Total value
Currency
Resource
Comp. Scrap Quantity
Assembly Indicator
Cost Elem.
Strategy
OrGp
Vendor

Is it possible to alter your workflow to below ? Also can I  change the input to multiple text files in a directory and run through your routine?

Labels