Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Read results of Excel formulas after loading data from Alteryx

derar-alhussein
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I want to write data from Alteryx to an Excel file which has formulas to do calculations on this data.

And after, I want to read the result of these formulas in another workflow without manually opening that Excel file.

The problem is that, after writing the data, when I read the results of the formulas, I see that the resulted calculations is out-of-date (i.e., the result is not related to the recently loaded data)

It seems that the problem is coming from the fact that Alteryx updates the underlying data of Excel files without opening them, so the calculation of formulas is not applied.

So, you must open the file to trigger the calculation of the formulas and re-save the file.

My question: Is there a way to read the up-to-date result of Excel formulas, after loading new data, without manually opening the Excel file (and re-save it).

I have attached my workflows and the excel file.

2 REPLIES 2
neilgallen
12 - Quasar

@derar-alhussein You could include a run command in the second workflow which opens the requisite excel file, saves the file, and then closes it before the workflow then attempts to read the modified data.

I guess I would ask why it's necessary? Why not chain the two workflows together and perform the necessary formulas within alteryx? 

OleksiiZ
5 - Atom

@

Labels