Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

General Discussions has some can't miss conversations going on right now! From conversations about automation to sharing your favorite Alteryx memes, there's something for everyone. Make it part of your community routine!

Read only Access to MS SQL Server and In-Database tools

Purpose
7 - Meteor

Seeking for guidance from experienced community members. 

Our DB Admin will allow read only access to SQL server.  No write access means, I believe, I will not be able to create even temporary tables in SQL. I do not need to make any changes to data in the source SQL database.  The final output from Alteryx will be Excel files.   

My main goal is to thin the SQL data before it comes to Alteryx memory using In-Database tools.   

I have not built the workflow yet but I indicated below if a tool is required or not for my workflow.  Users will be running the app from the Alteryx server version rather than the Designer.  Please let me know if read only access to SQL is sufficient for configuring below tools or If I have to make a business case for write access? 

Connect in-DB Required for my workflow
Data stream in-DB Required

Data Stream out

Required
Dynamic Input in-DBNice to have for my workflow
Dynamic output in-DB Nice to have
Filter in-DB Required

Formula in-DB    

Nice to have.  If necessary, I will create new fields instead of changing existing ones.

Join in DB             

Select in-DB  (It is possible to change filed types for some)

Required

Summarize in DB 

Nice to have
Union in DB.  Required

Purpose.  

Inactive User
Not applicable

I would assume the Data Stream In tool requires Write Access. What type of data do you need to stream in? Depending on this, there might be a feasible workaround.

Purpose
7 - Meteor

Saugbjerg,

Good question.  Thanks for taking a look at this.  I am thinking about using the chained application for this purpose.  User will select the year, let's say 2017 in the 1st dialog box after launching the app and hits continue.  At that point, 2017 as current year and 2016 as prior year (2017 minus 1) will be passed to the SQL Database.  Formula in DB tool will convert the years to dates i.e.  12/31/2017 and 12/31/2016.  Filter in DB tool then filters the active entities for 2017 and 2016 from a table and generates a single entity list that will be pushed to the 2nd dialog box so that the user can select one or more entities to continue.  At this point, short list of entities will come back to the in DB area.  Next steps will use some in DB tools to retrieve the data for each entity selected by the user.  Basically, data that will be coming to in DB area are user selections from the dialog boxes.  

Once the data is retrieved from SQL, I will then use the Data Stream Out tool to get the data into the Alteryx memory processing.  

Purpose

Labels