Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Read in & Output to save CSV without file already open error?

StephenMack
10 - Fireball

I'm trying to update a CSV with a new row generated in my workflow.

I read in the old data from a CSV

I union my new row with the old data

I output the data

but the workflow gives an error "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". I'm a little stumped at a way around this? 

5 REPLIES 5
Philip
12 - Quasar

For me, that happens when I have the file open in another application, such as Excel or Tableau. I'd start by making sure you don't have it open in another program.

StephenMack
10 - Fireball

Don't think so, it happens on my desktop and when I push it to the server. So I definitely don't have the file open in both places.

And when I put the input tool into a container and disable it the rest of the workflow runs fine

StephenMack
10 - Fireball

Adding a block until done fixes it

PeterGoldey
11 - Bolide

This same issue pops up all over the place.  Block until done usually resolves it.

For example, if you download a file and then try to zip it you get this same error.

ColleenH218
8 - Asteroid

Glad you were able to figure this out @StephenMack! I had a need to open a .txt file, modify it, and save it back to the same location with the same name and was getting the same error. Adding in a Block Until Done fixed the issue for me!

Labels