community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Read from back-up database is main database is not available

Hi all,

I have the following scenario. I have two databases, say Main and Shadow. One of these is a copy of the other. Lets say Shadow is a copy of Main.  If  Main goes offline for any reason (I get an error in reading from it) then how can I easily switch to reading from the Shadow database. For example, a workflow that captures the logic below. Obviously this flow won't work but can anyone suggest how to solve this problem. 

databsase workflow.JPG

Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

@martinogorman,

You are SOOOOO close.

1.  append the count of records (APPEND tool) to the READ results.

2. filter the data for Count = 0 to go to the in-db process.

3. Take a coffee break.

I would consider using a dynamic input and updating it.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and reboot. Order shall return.

@marqueeCrew

Thanks Mark,
I am not sure your suggestion would work. I can't replicate a database being down but I can make the database call return an error so I think this represents the same scenario ( I simply provide fake credentials). The problem when a database read returns an error is the flow stops at that point. It would be great if the tool had a second output stream in cases of errors to make error handling easier. Below is an updated flow - stripped down to the essentials. AS you can see, there is no streaming of data from the first DB read so the Count tool isn't hit. I have tried testing Count = null and count = 0 but the problem is the flow stops on a DB error. By the way, the tag in the filters below should read "If record count != 0"

database workflow update.JPG

As an alternative, I tried the following. Obviously the issue here is having to read from Shadow even if the first read succeeds. But as the read fail from database A fails, the flow stops. 

database workflow update 2.JPG

Any ideas?

Labels