Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Read and update sheet names in Alteryx App

Utkarshaggarwal
6 - Meteoroid

I have an Alteryx app that prompts the user to import a standard Excel file. I need to add an option for the user to be able to see and update the sheet names for the imported file before processing further.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Utkarshaggarwal,

File browse allow the users to select which sheet to use:

messi007_0-1614250132226.png

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Utkarshaggarwal
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for your response. I think I failed to explain my query.

I have an Alteryx app that prompts the user to select a particular Excel file. The workflow is designed to read all the sheets from the selected file and then process it. The functionality I am looking to add is that once the user selects the Excel file, there should be an option to rename the sheets before the file is processed.

messi007
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@Utkarshaggarwal,

As my knowledge, I don't think that you can do this.

One of the option (but this it will work for only one sheet) is using a text input that will update a formula tool in order to change the sheet name.

Regards,

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Utkarshaggarwal 

If I understood it correctly, you want to update the file browser, then it would populate with the sheet names and after that you are loading all the sheets. But before loading those sheets you want the user to have an option of renaming the sheet?

Maybe I'm not following exactly what you are trying to do.

• If you want to rename the sheet name for good, you cannot do this in Alteryx, you can delete that sheet and create a new sheet with the output data tool
  • If you want the user to be prompted the option of selecting one of the sheets, @messi007  covered that
  • If you want the workflow to take in the file and for some reason you want it to change the sheet name inside of the workflow (so just for the workflow to try to process a different sheet name than the one that actually exist) you can do something like I attached. If you need it to be more dynamic, you can do with with a crosstab putting the sheet names as columns and then updating the sheet names to then transpose. it back to the correct format.

Pedro.

Labels