Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Read a tableau twb with Alteryx?

jogianni
7 - Meteor

a tableau .twb file is essentially an XML file. Alteryx supports XML file reading. Can I read/manipulate .twb? I am referring to the dashboard folder itself, not the extract file.

Reason being is I need to mass edit some .twb files, and thought it could maybe get done with Alteryx. 

6 REPLIES 6
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jogianni,

If the changes that you want to make can be accomplished with a "Find" & "Replace" command, then they surely can be made with alteryx.  I'd read the input file in with a .csv driver and set the delimiter to \0 (null).  Now you can read and edit the file.  When you save the file, go to a .txt file and make your file format .csv.  You can use the same \0 delimiter and UNCHECK the First Row Contains Field Names.

cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
jogianni
7 - Meteor

Mark,

thank you for the tip, I was selecting XML and it was not working. Yes, I am trying to make simple find and replace.

Could you elaborate more on the saving? like output it as a text?

Thank you,

Jasson

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@jogianni,

Here's a picture...

capture.png

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
I appreciate this question has already been answered but personally I have done a lot of work in this area so if you need any advice on understanding tableau workbook XML then throw me a message.

I've also documented previously the steps required to import a twb file into already...

https://benjnmoss.wordpress.com/2016/10/24/how-to-import-a-twb-in-alteryx/

Ben
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus
Also when you read the file be sure to set the field length to something rediculous, I tend to go for 2000; otherwise if your workbook is mildly complex you may get truncation issues which then means your XML will be malformed should you not pick up on this issue and output your workvook.

Ben
vishantshenoy
7 - Meteor

@benmoss

Hi Ben,

Please note I have a workflow which reads through Tableau WBK metadata from TWB files. I am facing an issue while trying to get Table name for a column. Let me know if you have come across similar issue. Let me know if you want me to share the workflow.

Thanks,

Vishant

Labels