Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Read XML from URL

afinzerillo
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to convert a macro enabled Excel file to an Alteryx workflow.  The Excel uses the VB function ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add to grab a table from the URL

https://www.estv.admin.ch/estv/de/home/mehrwertsteuer/dienstleistungen/fremdwaehrungskurse/archiv-de...

I can't find a way for Alteryx to do the same.  But, the URL provides a way to open the XML in a new tab or window.  You can also right click the link and select "Save Target As..." to same a file local.  The URL for the XML file is www.pwebapps.ezv.admin.ch/apps/rates/estv/getavgxml?lang=1&j=2019&m=01

I have found a couple of XML tools in Alteryx, but none that can read from a URL.  I also can't find a way to download the XML file since it isn't stored on an FTP site.

Hoping the community can help.

3 REPLIES 3
PeterP
8 - Asteroid

Hey @afinzerillo ,

Have you tried using the download tool? The download tool will allow you to retrieve the XML data in what is called the "download data" column generated from the download tool. You will have to use a text input tool to store the URL and pass it through the download tool. From here you could simply use the XML Parse tool within the Parsing Category.

OmarP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

No issues here as well - do you need to save the XML as well?

afinzerillo
8 - Asteroid

That works.  Thanks!.  Now to build the URL dynamically!

Labels