Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Rate my workflow

do55
6 - Meteoroid

Still learning Alteryx, would like some feedback on this workflow to see if there was a quicker or better way of doing this.

Inputs
Teams.csv (List of football teams)
Fixtures.csv (List of football matches)

Output

Team oriented list showing Team | Fixture | Opponent | Difficulty 

Method
1) Use Two F/Rs to lookup Home Away Team Names in the Fixtures File and Join.

2) Create Master Table of All Fixtures and All Teams.

3) Join 1 and 2

4) For each team and fixture, identify if this is a Home or Away game (Filter away Neither)

5) For home game, find away opp, for away game find home opp. Join.

6) Deselect unused fields (appreciate I could have done this much earlier in the process)

Seems a bit clunky for what I thought would be a simple process, but I couldn't find a better way.

5 REPLIES 5
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

Can you attach your CSV input files?

For confidentiality, it might be a good idea to remove your Path text from your two Input Data tools.

do55
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, added the input attachments.
How do I remove input paths while still keeping the link? 

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

You can save a temp copy of your workflow with the Path removed or changed.

If your path is 

.\FileName.csv

the workflow will read the CSV files from the folder where the workflow is saved.  So if anyone downloads your workflow and CSV files to a Download folder, the workflow will look for the CSV files in the Download folder.

paulfound
11 - Bolide

Hi @do55 

I was thinking of building a football Alteryx Workbook myself but haven't yet got round to it. 

Where did you get the csv's from?

Back to the work flow, I agree with you it is a bit clunky, but it gets there, and works so WIN!

This is how I did the same thing:

1. I joined teams onto fixtures home teams, then joined the new table onto away teams. this populated the name and short name for both home and away. I then reduced the number of fields that were not needed. (I could have cleaned up data types too at this point. but I didn't)

2. I then duplicate the list with a H or an A.

3. Select the corresponding team to the H/A indicator, rename the fields so they match and make sense.

4. Union back into one list with 760. 

This gives 2 records per match, 1 for away team perspective and 1 from the home team perspective. 

PaulFound_0-1598543103760.png

I have added my workflow so you can see what I have done. It's just uses a few less tools than yours.

Hope this helps. Let me know about the data source, would be good to know where you got it. 

Cheers

do55
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks, good to see a different perspective.

Link here:

https://github.com/vaastav/Fantasy-Premier-League/tree/master/data/2020-21

Labels