Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Rang parts of the workflow

Inactive User
Not applicable

Hello guys,

Is it possible to "rank" parts of a workflow? I try to stop my workflow with a condition. But this part of my workflow is done in the end, and I want to that this is done at the beginning. I tried it with the Tool "Block Until Done" but it does not work. 
Can you help me? Thanks for help.
Best regards

3 REPLIES 3
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Inactive User 

At a basic level Alteryx runs through the tools in the order you placed them (Tool ID 1, then 2, then 3 etc), but there are a few exceptions to this 'rule'. There are a few options available to allow you to control how the workflow runs, but they can be quite specific depending on what you're trying to do.

One option that may be suitable is through Chained Apps - https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120 essentially having two workflows where the successful completion of the first triggers the second. Another option is using CReW Macros - http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/ of which they have workflow sequencing tools, such as the runner, list runner, conditional runner etc

If neither of these work for your use case can you expand a bit on what you're wanting to do, with screenshots and/or the workflow so we can assist further?

Podoseb0
7 - Meteor

It really depends on how you structured your workflow and how many different schemas/inputs there are.

You should be able to achieve your goal with the "Block Until Done" tool and some creativity though.

For example, when I need to somehow force part of a workflow to run after another one, even if they follow completely different streams, I use a Block Until Done tool in the first stream, let it run all the way to the end from the "1" output, then add a Count Records tool connected to the "2" output and append it to the second stream.

This way, you can basically decide which one runs first.

You could even create a "main" workflow that executes the sub-workflows as macros, in which case it's easier to configure it with the block until done tool.

Let me know if this helps or if you need me to elaborate more on the logic. Having more informations on your workflow would be helpful (a screenshot or a sample workflow).

Inactive User
Not applicable

Thanks for help. I changed the Tool ID and it works :) 

Labels