Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Random wait time/ throttling

Hydra
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

Is anyone aware of a way to set a random wait time that would function like the throttle tool. For example if I want to use the download tool to get info from webpages at random intervals between 5 and 20 seconds I am unable to figure out to do this in Alteryx today.

Any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Hydra! The easiest solution that comes to mind would be the wait macro that is part of the latest crew macros: http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2016/06/crew-macro-pack-2016-q2-release.html?m=1

Hope that helps!

Hydra
7 - Meteor

Hi Patrick,

Didn't realize they put out a release recently. Just needed to modify the macro slightly to get it to work.

Thanks for the quick reply!

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

FWIW I was able to build something similar using the R tool. It appears to be less accurate. You provide the number of seconds to wait and it uses the R tool and the Sys.sleep command to wait for a specified number of seconds. 

rachit
5 - Atom

Hi Hydra, 

Did you find a solution to your problem. I am facing a similar issue. Can you share your solution. 

-Rachit

AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Just updated the "Wait A Second" macro to add a random wait time option.

Preview attached.

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
tmahmo15
7 - Meteor

When trying to install the macro, I constantly get following error:

tmahmo15_0-1589304400422.png

CAJay
6 - Meteoroid

solution which I could think of using R tool, on Alteryx wait issue please find below

Basically 2 tools are being used to arrive at the solution –

Block until Done and R language Tool

Under Block until done tool

1st  Stage add R Language tool and run below script – (”30” in script means 30 seconds , which can be changed accordingly)

2nd Stage add the relevant tool needed as per your requirement

CAJay_0-1658226254486.png

CAJay_1-1658226254129.png

R Script below

testit <- function(x)

{

p1 <- proc.time()

Sys.sleep(x)

proc.time() - p1 # The cpu usage should be negligible

}

testit(30)

Labels